<VV> Did you ever locate any Sun Sleuth ignition analyzer service information?

Craig Edmonds cedmonds at chartermi.net
Sun Apr 26 16:16:06 EDT 2009

Hi,

I was searching for information about the Sun Sleuth ignition analyzers, and a Google search located your old post in the Virtual Corvairs test equipment forum.

I'd like to ask if you ever located a service manual, and if it would be possible to obtain a copy of even some portions of it? Specifically, I would really benefit from a schematic diagram.

My Sun Sleuth 1 ignition anaylzer has an issue with it's alternator input circuitry and with it's timing light circuitry. It ws like this at the time I purchased it. Everything else works very well, even the dynamic power balance test. I was able to calibrate the oscillloscope and use it's features. If I can get the bugs out of the two areas with issues, it will be almost like new.

I believe the issues came into being due to an internal short in the pattern pickup cable, which I have located and repaired since discovering that the pattern cable became hot to the touch while in use. I don't understand yet exactly what the interaction between the pattern circuit and the others was other than for there being an undesireable current path, but the end result certainly wasn't a good thing!

I understand that your information would be for the Sleuth 2, but I believe the circuits I have issues in should be nearly identical in my Sleuth 1.

I enjoy the Slueth analyzer, because my Son and I are restoring a number of vintage vehicles from the time it was designed. It's abilities are a perfect match for their systems. My Son has a 1967 Jaguar XKE and a 1984 Cutlass Supreme, and I have a 1960 Morgan +4 and a 1981 Dodge B250 Custom Sportsman van.

I'm quite willing to pay whatever expense you feel would be reasonable to copy any information you'd be willing to share.

My email address is cedmonds at chartermi.net
I live in the USA.

Kind regards,

Craig Edmonds