<VV> Brakes pulling right and no light

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Aug 2 12:01:55 EDT 2009

At 02:14 AM 8/2/2009, Stephen Upham wrote:
>           Anyway, is there a
>way to adjust the brakes to grab at the same pressure using the self
>adjusting "star" wheel, or am I looking at yet another new set of
>shoes up front?

The shoes are suspect, bigtime.

>One club member who is widely respected nationally
>in the Corvair community said that would probably be the only way to
>solve the problem.

Agreed, he's right.

>         But hang on it gets better, and by that I really mean worse.   When
>I was leaving the meeting, a fellow member called out to me at a stop
>light.  It turned out that I did not have any brake lights!!  I
>looked at the switch on the pedal and the arm does allow the switch
>button to come all the way out (separated from contact with the
>switch), the fuse is ok, and at least the parking lights do work.  It
>would seem unlikely that both brake light filaments would tank at the
>same time.

Quick test is to check rear turn signals, same filaments.

>I did notice after reading in the manual that the
>clearance between the pedal arm and the stop needs to be adjusted as
>the arm is resting on the stop.

No matter as long as the switch plunger does indeed come all the way
out.   The brake lights oughta come on.

One quick test is to pop the switch plug off and temporarily short
the connector with a bent up paper clip.   Check to see that the
brake lights are on.

If not...  you know the drill... ;) If they are on, bad switch.

>Don't know if this would/could cause
>this symptom.

Not unless the switch got far out of adjustment and somehow the pedal
arm was bashing the switch plunger into the switch, which I doubt was
happening.

Before you start in on adjusting the switch, make sure it's capable
of working first.   You may have another problem...

tony..