<VV> More Re: Brakes grabbing

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 2 17:00:03 EDT 2009

Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:

> -- it is ideal and recommended to replace brakes in full axle sets
> only. period.

Belatedly, I add -- both sides AT THE SAME TIME!  As it is, Stephen, you
have (or had) one used set on the left front (I believe it was left) and
a new set on the right front -- that's not the same as two new sets at
the same time (almost new is not "new").  Maybe they will eventually
wear in and mate up, maybe not -- different usage makes them different.
Google for hints on drum brake break-in procedures, everyone has
something different, but it is generally a dozen or so good hard stops,
followed by a cooling off period, repeating, and then readjusting.  I've
found a half dozen really hard stops (35 mph down a 10% grade) is
probably good enough -- enough to smell them at least.  Manufacturer's
recommendations are always recommended.

Doesn't mean that is why your brakes are pulling -- could be your
alignment, brake torque, suspension wear, and the crown of the road, or
that rear emergency brake cable -- you didn't say that you removed it,
lubed and inspected it, and either found it good or bad, so ...

Bill Strickland