<VV> Working on brakes

Kurt Guttensohn rizakoyt at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 08:00:38 EDT 2009

Nice catch, and I wasn't even trying to misspell brake.

The old linings do have a lot of wear left in them.  I lined them up with the new ones and they were almost the same.  That is why I am having trouble with the difference in amount of force needed to turn the drum with the new as opposed to the old linings.

The wheel cylinder was purchased from Clarks for the 64.  I do not remember seeing any numbers on them, but I will double check after work today.  I will also try fitting the shoes in the drum after work today and see what the clearance is at the heel and toe of the new shoes.

For now, I think I will leave the re-arcing as a last resort.

Thanks for the advice.

________________________________
>With all this talk about brakes, I decided to do a break job

And you succeeded, I guess -- you broke the brakes  <te he>

The springs and the rest of the install sure look okay, but then those
old linings looked like they had a lot of wear left in them yet.

Does anyone else think the wheel cylinder looks too small in the new
picture?  Do they have the same bore size marked on them?  I can't read
it in the pics.  But that shouldn't have any effect on the brakes being
too tight -- probably just the new linings are a tad bit oversized (not
unusual for relined shoes) and the drums are still unturned (lucky
you).  If you try fitting the shoes in the drums, is there a bit of
clearance at the heel and toe of each new shoe?

You might need to consider getting the shoes "arced" to fit your drums.
DO NOT turn the drums if they don't really need it.

Bill Strickland