<VV> More Re: Brakes grabbing

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Aug 3 06:26:29 EDT 2009

Back in the late 50s teenagers with little money to spend might go to a junk yard and buy a pair of used brake shoes, or maybe only one shoe.  File it smooth and install it, bed it in a little and presto ... good brakes again.

Single greatest cause of pulling brakes is grease or brake fluid on the linings.  Next would be a piston hanging up in the wheel cylinder followed by an internally blocked flexible brake line.  Contaminated linings make the vehicle pull to the contaminated side, the others cause pulling to the opposite side.  Odd causes could be bad tir rod end / idler arm actually steering the car to the side, broken upper ball joint, wheel bearing failure causing the wheel to drag on the end or the upper control arm, failed control arm bushings, or failed suspension strut rod.

Ken P