<VV> W.Mitty Corvair Photo

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon Aug 3 16:53:57 EDT 2009

All:  The August issue of Vintage Racecar (www.vintageracecar.com) has a
1/6th page photo of Warren during his off road side trip at Rd Atlanta
during the Mitty.  Head-on shot, with both front wheels in the air.
Probably a must have only for Warren.  It is part of a 1 pg photo spread
from the event.  From the note at the bottom of the page, there are more
event photos at their web site.  As I haven't looked yet, so I don't know if
any of the other Corvairs are pictured.

The issue is their Monterey Special issue, and is full of Porsche racecar
material, as Porsche is the featured marque at the Monterey event this year.

This is the 3rd magazine which has had something about Corvairs at the
Mitty.  Good PR for the Corvair hobby.

As I remember it, the Georgia CORSA chapters had a regional get together a
week or so before the Mitty.  Said expense probably reducing the non-race
Corvair turnout.  But, what would happen if the "racers" and regional
chapters got together and had regional events at vintage races?  The
coordination of such efforts could be difficult, especially insuring the
racers could/would turn out.  Track day events are great, but are
essentially non-spectator events.  Vintage events are more difficult because
of the requirements due to the "race part" of the weekend.  Not every car
which can participate in a track day event can participate in a race day
weekend.  Unless the event has some parade lap time in the program.

I suspect from my experience as a spectator at vintage races for the last 20
or so years, that most events would be happy to accommodate a Corvair group
participation in the infield.  Road America has a concourse for race car on
Friday night and street cars on Saturday night in Elkhart Lake WI.  These
events are sponsered by Road & Track, and draw huge crowds both nights.
There has been only 1 Corvair in either show since 1988.  Could Chicago,
Milwaukee and Iowa chapters do a joint effort with the racers for the July
SVRA event at Rd America?  Same goes for Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock, VIR and Rd
Atlanta events.  Due to the cost involved for the racers, I suspect maybe
only one such event a year around the country...or maybe on the east side of
the country.  (Even if Iowa is on the west side of the country.)  Might be
something NECC could sponsor/coordinate.  They have a lot of experience at
Lime Rock in the past.  Have your own Corvair event inside someone else's
event.  Jim Schardt did this with the 1st Yenko Stinger Reunion he put
together at Mid-Ohio back in 1996.

Just an idea.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice