<VV> 23 Corvairs at Walter Mitty

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 3 18:32:18 EDT 2009

Hi James, You must be mis-informed. We had Corvairs in a separate Car
Corral each day of the Walter Mitty with 16 Corvairs
in the Saturday Corvair Corral and seven race cars on the track. We
had Corvairs participating in every Parade lap event and every
touring lap event on each day that it was featured. I should know as
Darth Vair told me about it !!! <GGG>
Chuck Armer
Car Corral Coordinator
Walter Mitty 2009
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////

  At 04:53 PM 8/3/2009, you wrote:
>All:  The August issue of Vintage Racecar (www.vintageracecar.com) has a
>1/6th page photo of Warren during his off road side trip at Rd Atlanta
>during the Mitty.  Head-on shot, with both front wheels in the air.
>Probably a must have only for Warren.  It is part of a 1 pg photo spread
>from the event.  From the note at the bottom of the page, there are more
>event photos at their web site.  As I haven't looked yet, so I don't know if
>any of the other Corvairs are pictured.
>
>The issue is their Monterey Special issue, and is full of Porsche racecar
>material, as Porsche is the featured marque at the Monterey event this year.
>
>This is the 3rd magazine which has had something about Corvairs at the
>Mitty.  Good PR for the Corvair hobby.
>
>As I remember it, the Georgia CORSA chapters had a regional get together a
>week or so before the Mitty.  Said expense probably reducing the non-race
>Corvair turnout.  But, what would happen if the "racers" and regional
>chapters got together and had regional events at vintage races?  The
>coordination of such efforts could be difficult, especially insuring the
>racers could/would turn out.  Track day events are great, but are
>essentially non-spectator events.  Vintage events are more difficult because
>of the requirements due to the "race part" of the weekend.  Not every car
>which can participate in a track day event can participate in a race day
>weekend.  Unless the event has some parade lap time in the program.
>
>I suspect from my experience as a spectator at vintage races for the last 20
>or so years, that most events would be happy to accommodate a Corvair group
>participation in the infield.  Road America has a concourse for race car on
>Friday night and street cars on Saturday night in Elkhart Lake WI.  These
>events are sponsered by Road & Track, and draw huge crowds both nights.
>There has been only 1 Corvair in either show since 1988.  Could Chicago,
>Milwaukee and Iowa chapters do a joint effort with the racers for the July
>SVRA event at Rd America?  Same goes for Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock, VIR and Rd
>Atlanta events.  Due to the cost involved for the racers, I suspect maybe
>only one such event a year around the country...or maybe on the east side of
>the country.  (Even if Iowa is on the west side of the country.)  Might be
>something NECC could sponsor/coordinate.  They have a lot of experience at
>Lime Rock in the past.  Have your own Corvair event inside someone else's
>event.  Jim Schardt did this with the 1st Yenko Stinger Reunion he put
>together at Mid-Ohio back in 1996.
>
>Just an idea.
>
>Historically Yours,
>                    James Rice