<VV> Heads too hot

arendh arendhuismus at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 4 02:45:59 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I have a problem that i just can't get solved. I rebuilt the engine of my
'64 vert two years ago and about everything is new, based on one of the
major rebuilt kits of Corvair Underground. I installed a Spyder dash to keep
in contact with the engine. Now my oil temp is running fine at 180 F
(external oil cooler above the fan), but the heads are between 470 and 500 F
after a 20 minute drive. It's not running lean (check), static timing is
correct on 14 degrees (check), I use the right spark plugs (Delco R44F,
check), I just deflashed and cleaned the heads (check),  lower shrouds are
off, weather temp between 55 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  Any Ideas?

Arend Huisman

Netherlands, '64 vert