<VV> Paul Harvey / <GGG>

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 4 16:12:17 EDT 2009

A brief history of The Mitty

  The Mitty began in 1978 with a handful of
Atlanta-area road racing enthusiasts who were
looking for a safe place to exercise their cars
at speed. Road Atlanta offered just the venue.

The formula was an immediate success. After
observing the enthusiasm for that first event,
Martha Turner, then editor of the Jaguar Marque,
dubbed the proceedings the great “Walter Mitty
Challenge” after the James Thurber short story.

Originally published in 1939, “The Secret Life of
Walter Mitty” centers on a quiet man with vivid
daydreams in which he is far more dashing than in
his day-to-day life. In the 1947 film adaptation,
Mitty­played by Danny Kaye­fantasizes about being a race car driver.

Through the years, The Mitty has become a spring
tradition in Atlanta. In 2004 Classic Motorsports
magazine became the title sponsor and event
co-promoter and Kumho Tires and Moss Motors
became platinum partners. Mazda became a
presenting sponsor in 2005. Today, the Mitty lays
claim to being the largest and best
vintage/historic racing event on the entire East Coast.

Chuck Armer
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 02:12 PM 8/4/2009, you wrote:

>So, just why is this track event I keep hearing so much about called the
>"Walter Mitty"?  I've copied and pasted, below, (with editing) what
>Wikipedia says about the name. How does this apply to the track event?
>Enquiring Minds Wanna Know!
>Thanks!
>~Bill Stanley

CORSA Member