<VV> More Re: Brakes grabbing

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 15:18:35 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/4/09 5:33:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
kenpepke at juno.com writes:

I would  still hesitate  to use a LM in daily service today without
upgrading the  brakes.  Sure, I know lots of guys do BUT there is added risk ...
the  more risks one takes the greater the chance of loss.
Ken  P

I used to have a set of cerametallic brakes on my LM's, but, in  Denver, I
couldn't find them anywhere (even at Steve and Speed's Corvair  shop) so I
just became very careful how I drove.  Since then, I've asked  around in L.A.
but the 'Vair houses don't have them and regular brake shops tell  me that
even if I could find a set, they refuse to install them.  I think  that they
think they'd lose money because the cerams last so long. But  it so seldom
rains here that I don't have a problem with drums getting wet  and fading.
A**holes on the freeway are another thing altogether!  I  try to compensate
for the slower reflexes of old age by staying well behind the  car ahead of
me; for this, I get the finger from other drivers as they pull in  RIGHT in
from of me.  BTW, I'm driving in what is called " laughingly" the  slow
lane--doing the limit or maybe 5 MPH under that.

Scotty from Hollyweird