<VV> Cylinder heads hot

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 5 08:55:50 EDT 2009

Black is NOT required for the infrared thermometers.

A test was done for one of the auto A/C magazines and shiny surfaces
made the most inaccurate readings. The best solution to get accurate
readings?

Apply a piece of standard masking tape (that buff colored stuff) to the
surface and focus on the tape.

I did my own test at work on an RF water load that had both chrome and
polished aluminum surfaces, with red rubber hoses connecting the water
flow. The shiny surfaces read WAY low. I used buff, blue and green
masking tape on these surfaces and got readings that agreed with contact
thermocouples. So, any color matte finish masking tape seems to work

Now, how to attach the masking tape to the Corvair head to get accurate
readings....

But I think the matte finish of the head will do just fine. Aim for a
grease spot!

Frank DuVal