<VV> Seats - Autocross Classification

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 12:03:47 EDT 2009

Thank you all for your comments. Yeah - I re-wrote the newest version of
the rules. I had suggestions coming at me at about the same rate as bricks
were  being thrown. Please remember that the Autocross "Class" rules are for
classification, not car preparation. They were - and are - intended to be
used  to help folks put their car in the appropriate class when they show up
at a  Corsa (oriented) Autocross. Yes, you can use them to prepare your car
for a  certain class or category, but that isn't their first role. Beyond the
letter of  the rules is the spirit of the rules. That is the reason for
allowing first: the  "enhancements" in stock class, which were intended to help
the cars survive  autocrossing without damage, and encouraging more than
one or two cars to  run in the class at the National Convention. That is the
reason behind allowing  taller (but not wider) tires into the class. That is
what people actually run on  their otherwise stock cars. Of course, you
could use the Corsa rulebook to build  that Killer Stock-class car that Bruce
describes. Be sure to include that heater  delete option to keep the weight
down! And you will get to run it at one or two  events a year under Corsa
rules. (WTF?) The spirit of the rulebook is to  place a car where it should run.
If you put nice soft, comfortable, aftermarket  seats into an otherwise
stock Greenbrier, the spirit says "Insignificant!"  and the car runs in stock
class. But if you build the "Stock" class car of  Bruce's dream and put on 7"
wheels, instead of 6" - you would be moved  into Improved Stock - That is
where the letter of the rules confirms the  spirit of the rules. The most
useful feature of the Improved Stock/ Street  Modified points count method is
to allow cars built for other types of  competition - or just built as
fast/fun street cars - to compete with other  cars of the same performance
potential at Corsa events. The serious guys will  always be the serious guys. They
will build to the limit of the rules (just, I  hope) and even remove a part
to drop into a lower category. As I said, they are  serious.  But even the
non-serious guys need a fair place to run. And that  is what the spirit of
the rules is all about. - Seth Emerson

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)