<VV> Brakes as good as new (a Thank you)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 5 16:09:13 EDT 2009

The brakes are now working great.  The solution for the rubbing on
the rear passenger side was either replacing the shoes, replacing the
springs, and/or adjusting the m/c piston to pedal connection under
the dash.  As all were done before the first test drive, I can't be
sure which one or which combinations made the difference.

The solution for the brakes pulling to the right is credited to J.
Yaros (he actually was instrumental in solving the light question
also). He told  me to turn the front star wheels out until the wheels
could not be turned by hand and then, tighten them 16 "spokes".  When
I did, they felt like they still had a slightly different friction
when turning by hand, so I tightened the right hand side about 2-3
more "spokes" until they felt like they had the same friction.
Problem solved.

The brakes no longer rub, pull or stick... and they stop the car very
nicely.

I have driven the car over 100 miles since taking it out of group
red.  I've had such a great time driving around and presenting the
car, a short history of Corvairs, and passing out our club "business
cards" to those who come over to admire it - which has been almost
every stop I made.

But mostly, I enjoy the driving...

To all of you who offered advise on the brake lights and shoes, THANK
YOU!!

You are slowly turning me into a fairly proficient Corvair shade-tree
mechanic.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

The Original Four Door Sports Car