<VV> Corvair In the News - Honorable Mention

edselcorvair at netzero.com edselcorvair at netzero.com
Thu Aug 6 08:18:12 EDT 2009

This is my first ever positng to VV so bear with me.  I am the proud owner of both a 66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 speed (scored a 91.11 at Jacksonville, first time out) and a 58 Edsel Corsair 4 dr HT (took a ribbon at Hilton Head last fall).  Let me tell you, if I take either car to cruise night or a show they both gather a lot of attention.  The most common comments about the Vair are about our buddy Ralph and how he "killed" the Vair, so I spend a lot of time straightening out people about that story.  The other is; "drove one in high school and loved it".  For the Edsel, people want to know why it failed.  That is a combination of many variables, mostly due to poor timing.  Since the country was in a slight recession in 58 all car sales were down 30 - 60% and here comes Ford introducing a land yacht when people were starting to transition over to smaller cars.  And yes the Edsel name was also a killer but one of the proposed names, "Utopian Turtle Top" would have really been a lot worse.  The individual model names however were well received.  Click here to see it on the EOC Home page http://www.edselclub.org/  In either case I have a lot of fun with both.
Bob Henrich, Morristown TN
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 speed
58 Edsel Corsair 4 door HT