<VV> Seats - Autocross Classification

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Thu Aug 6 16:52:27 EDT 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:

>> Bruce Schug wrote:
>>
>>> Bryan, you can't seriously tell me you would run IS if you had ...
>>> when my stock class vehicle is bored ...
>>>

> Ya know Bruce, I'm not Bryan, but "if" I showed up at an event wanting
> to run it, I'd run my car in whatever class they put me in -- some
> folks
> put a premium on winning, while other folks may just want the thrill
> of
> participation.

In virtually all autocrosses, including CORSA autcrosses, "they" don't
put you anywhere. It's your responsibility to classify yourself. Once
you do this, "they" don't usually question your choice of classes,
either, it's up to your competitors to protest you, if they think you
are in the wrong class. CORSA rules include a gentler mechanism,
whereby a competitor can be asked to re-classify himself. This is a
pretty neat way to get someone who has classified themselves in a
lower class than they belong in, to move up to their proper class.

Here are the CORSA Autocross rules as they pertain to classification:

6.12.1 Each competitor shall be responsible for classification of
their vehicle.
6.12.2 Competition Committee and/or technical inspection personnel
shall aid in car classification when requested by a competitor
6.12.3 Any competitor that is protested for improper classification
shall be moved to the correct class without penalty if the protest is
upheld.
6.12.4 Any driver may request any competitor in his class to re-
classify his car if he thinks the classification is in error. The
requested driver shall have the opportunity to reclassify his own car.
6.13 Protests: All protests of event conduct, disqualification, or car
classification shall be made in writing, shall state the car or reason/
circumstances of the protest, and shall be given to the Chairman of
the CORSA Competition Committee, or other designated individual(s), no
later than sixty minutes after the protested competitor’s
disqualification, second run (car classification) or the event’s
conclusion (event conduct). In protests involving classification,
competitor’s may still complete their runs. In protests involving
disqualification, runs may be completed under protest until the
protest is adjudicated.

I think these rules are pretty thorough.

The biggest questions about classification are always whether a
vehicle should be in stock or improved stock. I have been a long-time
proponent of at least IS class cars "declaring" their modifications
for classification. This would be in the form of a sheet with the
modifications checked and their total points noted. This sheet would
be taped to a window for competitors to see. This is not in the rules.

What is in the rules and is also quite good is the "Car Classification
Form". This starts on page 15 of the rules and is too lengthy to show
here. But it is a "cook book" of sorts, almost a flow chart, to use in
determining whether or not you belong in stock or improved stock. I
think Seth agrees with me as to the use of such a sheet and put this
in the rules revision. This covers most modifications and in most
cases will tell an entrant which class he belongs in. Every possible
modification, such as non-stock seats, replacement dashes, etc.,
simply can not be included in such a sheet or in the rules.

Understand, a competitor may classify himself in a HIGHER class if he
pleases. Bryan has noted that he wold run IS with aftermarket seats,
which are clearly allowable in stock. What a competitor can not do is
classify himself in a LOWER class and gain an unfair advantage.

I understand the desire to compete, just for the fun of it, but that
doesn't mean you should be in the wrong class.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina