<VV> Seats - Autocross Classification

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 20:24:25 EDT 2009

Gentlemen,
     Thank you very much for all your comments.  The attached photo shows the seats to which I'm referring.  They are actually from a 1987 Mazda van.  They also include sliding center-row captain's chairs and a folding rear bench.  They are similar to what GM might have put in a Greenbrier had they kept building them for another 20 years.  The front seats are very comfortable, but do not offer a lot of lateral support as the bolsters are quite soft.  They are no doubt better in the lateral support department than an original FC bench but how much better is anybody's guess.  The total seat installation is a bit heavier than the stock seats would be, so no weight advantage.
     The vehicle has no engine mods other than a "car" 110 motor (but upgrades are allowed and the 110 was available in 64 & 65 FCs), and no suspension mods other than being on 195/70-14 tires (24.9" diam).
     The autocross I was inquiring about would be the one at next year's CORSA Convention in Cedar Rapids.  Looking at past convention autocross results, it seems that there have been VERY few FCs that run in SS-5.  I see many with lowered suspensions, wider wheels/tires, engine mods, etc.  It's sometimes difficult to tell from a distance why they might have chosen to run in IS-4 rather than SS-5.
     I'm not trying to build a "spec racer" from an FC.  Just wondering whether the seats which the PO installed in my vehicle (and I don't intend to remove - I like the confort) would require a reclassification.  They seem to be the only thing that might, by somebody's interpretation of the rules, put it into IS.
     Thanks again.

Phil Raker
'65 Corsa Cpe - 140/4
'63 Greenbrier - 110/4 (Group Red)