<VV> Corvairs and snow

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sat Aug 8 08:07:35 EDT 2009

Having grown up and lived in West Virginia most of my life snow was a fact
of life. You learned how to drive in it and there are lots of hills. We
lived on one. I learned from watching my dad who was a milk truck driver and
often took me with him. He never had an accident and never failed to get
where he was going in bad weather.

When I got my first Corvair, a 1964 Monza 110 four speed (pics on my site
www.corvairalley.com ) I was in the Air Force and stationed on Long Island,
NY. This was back in the mid sixties and we had some big snows. I remember
going to the base early one morning from Westhampton Beach where we lived
and the snow plow had made several passes down the main street but left a
wall of snow in the middle. I had to cross it. I backed up and took a run at
it, not really knowing what was on the other side. I crashed through okay
and continued on toward the base. The road was flat but no one else had been
on it so I was plowing new ground as it were. I was actually pushing snow in
front until it stopped me. I simply backed up and drove around the pile I
had created. I did this several times before reaching the base. I did had
snow chains on the car and it would go anywhere. I would look for deep snow
to play in. They really didn't like me driving around the ball field! The
Air Policeman on the gate chewed me out for it. Damn good fun that!

In the early days all I had was Corvairs (a 64 & 65) and I always got to
work. Often I was driving around other folks or passing them going up a snow
covered hill. I always politely waved to them as I went by....GGG!
Some of them indicated I was number 1!

Rick Norris