<VV> Automatic Transmission Oil Leaks

woofcorvair at aol.com woofcorvair at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 16:36:20 EDT 2009

Hello:
   For the past few weeks, I have read all of the  suggestions and/or
recommendations from the
Corvair owners about how to locate the specific cause of  automatic
transmission oil leaks.  This
past week, I have had Corvair owners inspect my transmission and  not one
has agreed with the
other on the location or cause of this oil leak  problem.
   How do you know that you definitely need the shift  cable replaced?
   How do you know, for certain, whether you need a  new gasket, or that
the pan is warped?
Yesterday, I put a large piece of cardboard underneath the  car.  On two
different oil leak tests
for the location, I found two different large oil leaks on the  cardboard.
   Everyone has informed me that the last operation that  I want to do, is
to install a new shift cable
for my transmission.  Therefore, I need to know, exactly how  to find out
if it definitely needs to
be replaced.
   From observation of the oil leaks on the floor of my  garage, I am
definitely losing a large amount of fluid on the  ground.
Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.
Darrell in Missouri