<VV> Getting Rid of Rusts

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Wed Aug 12 20:46:27 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:26 PM
Subject: <VV> Getting Rid of Rusts

>   Recently, I read from one of our members about using  OXALIC ACID as a
> means of getting rid of
> rust from metal parts and tools.  It would be appreciated, if  I could
> know
> any other techniques that
> would eliminate rusts.
*************
Hi, you might look into electro-zapping the rust.  very common in the
gunsmithing area, it allows de-rusting of areas that are hard to get at.

I have no experience personally with using this technique as an anti ruster,
but I believe not much current is needed, maybe a single dry cell or 2 volts
would work ... the negative lead goes to the rusty part, the positive lead
to a scrap piece of steel ....  then hang everything freely in an ionic
solution  ( probably anything would work, baking soda maybe ...  or mild
acid, maybe lemon juice (g)))) ...   check often,

I would the guess the best current ( amps ) would give the rusty steel part
a slow fizz ... a boil might make pits ...  a battery charger on 6 volts
might be ok if you watch it closely, might put an old headlight in the line
serially to drop the volts a bit.

regards, ken campbell, deltawerkes

Oh, and the product CLR is terrific, and available at any grocery store ...
mild sulfamic and citric acids .. be careful.