<VV> Engine problem -- Help??

Jim Houston jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 15 15:34:40 EDT 2009

I drove my Corvair to a local car show this morning and discovered? a
problem. When cold, the car runs fine.  After I had driven about 10
miles (at 55mph), I had to stop at a light.  When I accelerated away
from the light, the engine stumbled, missed, and generally told me it
wasn't happy.  If I mashed down harder on the throttle, it would bog
down totally -- if I eased up on the throttle, it would accelerate
smoothly.  At cruise, completely smooth..  then when I arrived at the
show, it wouldn't idle at all..  just quit.  It would start up okay and
as long as the rpm stayed above 800 or so, it would run..  Coming home
after the show, same thing - ran fine at 55 cruise, but didn't like to
accelerate and wouldn't idle.  I let it cool off for 5 hours and I just
drove it again.  It's fine again ... I didn't drive it long enough to
warm it up, but I'm sure it will repeat the symptoms.  For the record,
the engine ran fine last Sept when I removed it, points/condenser are
new.  Timing is right on at 14 BTDC and dwell is within 2 degrees of the
book value.  Chokes on carbs come on when cold, and open when they heat
up.  Any suggestions on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Jim Houston
'65 Corsa coupe (with 110 for now)