<VV> Headrest Benchish Seat

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 16 07:18:40 EDT 2009

Perhaps I could shed some light on this. While researching for my window
sticker program (I sell completed window stickers) I happened upon this
option. While often refered in customer literature as "strato-ease"
headrests, the '66-earlier Corvair "bucket" seat is refered internally at
GM as a "bench-bucket" or "individual bench" seat. That's because when they
first designed the Monza for '60, they really had no full-fledged "bucket"
seat (with the exception of what was in the Corvette.) So they simply cut
down the frame of a bench seat to an "individual" width. Hence the
terminology, which shows up only because it's an option, not a standard
item. And if you look at a '66-earlier "bucket" objectively, it shouldn't
take much imagination to visualize it three passengers wide.

Internally, the Corvair really didn't have a true bucket seat until '67.

BTW, I'm always in search of original window stickers. If anyone has one,
I'd appreciate receiving a xerox or scanned copy of it. (See my mailing
address below.)

As a side note, when I went to work for GM in '74 I found some 40-year-old
seat frame dies that were still in production. I was told that they usually
don't redesign seats that often. They were still using the same 40-year-old
seat frame under new upholstery!

-Mark Corbin
5474 S.R. 19
Galion, Ohio 44833