<VV> seat support and..., was: Headrest Bench Seat

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 16 07:42:34 EDT 2009

The factory offered headrests as an option on both the 500 and Monza/Corsa
seats from '66 thru til they became standard on January 1, 1968. The '66
bucket is still considered a "bench" type of construction, but a true
bucket ("strato-bucket" to be exact) from '67 on. Hence, depending on
whether it's a 500 or Monza/Corsa, the RPO code is the same on '66 cars,
and different on '67-8 cars.

The only option that allowed you to put buckets in a car that came with a
bench seat (or vice versa) was in the '62 Monza four doors.

And yes, I've always found that the '66-earlier "bucket" seats to have as
much (little?) support as a bench seat. I've always said that for all the
support the back gave me, I'd just as well shoot a cannon thru the seat
back. (G) For me, it's a lousy seat. The '66-earlier bucket simply doesn't
fit my bucket, whereas the '67-up suites me better (but that's just me -
your experience may differ.) But the undisputed "loser" for miserable
seating belongs to my buddy's '69 500. After a 50 mile round trip, I almost
had to crawl out on all fours. It was either that or send for a gurney.

-Mark