<VV> Conventions

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon Aug 17 17:54:32 EDT 2009

Jack:  Who are you quoting here?  "I agree that new ideas are needed from
members for CORSA conventions."  What makes you think those of us out here
have any better ideas?  What are the past Conventions mistakes you want to
avoid?  Be specific.

Remember, the Conventions are planned by CORSA membership in local chapters.
Goodly numbers of them have been and are regular attendees of Conventions.
There is also a wealth of material available to those who ask.  When I was
on the BoD, M&P was heavily involved with the Convention planning.

What is the basis of your assertion that CORSA Conventions attendance is
declaiming and it cannot be solely attributed to the economy?  Really?!  I
assume you have the history of the number of CORSA members who have attended
the Conventions.

Before I buy your assertion, you need to provide the following:
	1.  About 20 years of statistical data, cross referencing the number of
CORSA members (not family totals) attending the conventions as a percentage
of CORSA membership.
	2.  About 20 years of statistical data, cross referencing the number of
CORSA members (not family totals) attending the conventions to the distance
from CORSA's geographic population center.  Distance matters.  Always has.
Reason for this statistical requirement is this.  Back when I was on the
BoD, the folks in Lexington KY sent us all a map of the lower 48 with the
number of CORSA members in each state.  I believe they got the zip codes of
all CORSA members from M&P.  As I remember it, I think Lexington KY was
about an 8 hour drive from an astounding number of CORSA membership.  I
don't remember what the number was, but the number which sticks in my mind
was over 2/3's of the membership was within a days drive.  The three left
coast states had the next highest percentage of members, but it is more than
8 hrs from So. California to Seattle WA.  Between the Mississippi River and
the left coast, excluding Texas, the membership was really slim.

I cannot imagine why no action has been taken on your suggestion.  Don't
suggest.  Suggesting is a cope out when you are on the BoD.  Act.  Write a
motion, get a second, and put it before the rest of the BoD for a vote.

Go on, try and increase the workload.  Make sure you are one of the BoD
members on the committee you want to create.

And I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to fire this broadside at the
BoD and/or the convention planners past, present and future.

But I admire your nerve.  Go for it.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique

Message: 3