<VV> follow-up on bogging down, sputtering

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Aug 17 23:00:42 EDT 2009

I only use Standard Ignition Coils.  The Bluestreak is a little more
expensive, but the regular black replacement coil from Standard will perfom
for a long time. I've never had one fail after I installed it.  The Ultra
Monza's was new 5 years ago, still performs like a champ.  Also have Std.
Igntion cap/rotor, condensor and Seth's wires.

Not always easy to find the less expensive black Std Ign coil, but most of
the chains now sell the Bluestreak.

NAPA Echlin line coils are pretty good too.

Wells Ignition used to make great coils, but since they've moved almost if
not all of their production from Fon-du-lac WI to Mexico, there's been a big
quality drop.

Even Accel coils tend to under-perfom.  Seen a lot of unsatisfied customers.

If you have one that fails when warm, get it so---- Cut off the motor, pull
the coil to dist wire, and get busy with your ohm-meter and see what kind of
reading you get from the primary and secondary windings.

Heat does mess them up, and the rail is a good relocation point.  Mine's
still in the original location.

Hank