<VV> Corvair Camping in Pennsylvania

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Aug 19 10:11:42 EDT 2009

Our friends Ray and Kathy Coker at the Pioneer Campground in LaPorte,
Pennnsylvania, who own two show-quality Corvairs (as well as a 1967
Barracuda convertible), have scheduled their third annual Corvair
Camping weekend for September 11-12-13.

What started in 2007 as a small event for members of their home club
is now being promoted regionally and advertised in the area
newspapers to bring out even more Corvair owners and enthusiasts for
a low-key laid-back weekend of fun.

The Pioneer Campground can accommodate those who camp in everything
from pup tents to massive motorhomes.  In fact, in the two previous
events, we have seen just about all the possible combinations --
Corvair owners pitching tents, towing pop-up trailers, towing travel
trailers, driving motorhomes -- even camping in Corvans!

For those who lack so much as a tent, the campground has a limited
number of camping cabins available, but these sell out early so call
today (contact information below).

For those who just can't accept the idea of sleeping in the great
outdoors, motel rooms are available at the Sullivan County Roadhouse
at the end of the road that leads to the campground, but these too
are limited so don't delay.  The Roadhouse in fact can serve your
needs if you don't want to cook over a campfire, either, because
breakfast, lunch and dinner are available.

This is an unstructured weekend of relaxation and laughs for the
whole family.  Corvair owners are invited to swap stories, trade
parts, and show off cars, but it is less about the cars and more
about family fun around the campfire.  We have usually laughed
ourselves silly as the sky grows dark and the embers glow.  The pool
will be open, the hiking trail will be available for walking, the
softball and volleyball fields will be open, and the game room will
be available for the kids.  Well-behaved pets are welcome.  You can
ask Ray about some of his innovative activities such as the Wet Hay
Ride and the Cardboard Boat Races.  There will be a driving tour of
the region on Sunday morning -- last year's tour included a stop at a
private collection of beautifully restored Chevrolets, and in the
prior year we toured to an impressive mountain overlook.

Bring your Corvair?  Of course, we want to see as many as
possible.  But if it is not possible to bring your Corvair because
you have a travel trailer to tow or a Winnebago to drive, that's okay
too.  People are what make this hobby.

Give Ray and Kathy a call and reserve your site.  Their number is
570-946-9971.  The campground web site is http://www.pioneercampground.com/

We look forward to having you join us!

Bob Marlow
NJACE