<VV> Detroit Area 2009 Homecoming

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Aug 27 07:59:15 EDT 2009

Excerpt from the Detroit Area Corvair Club newsletter, 'The Aircooler'

HOMECOMING 2009
Just like a finely tuned Corvair engine things began to hum on Thursday August 20, 2009 for the 2009 Homecoming and the 35th anniversary of the DACC. Registration began as many of our out of town guests began streaming in from Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Ontario. Pete Cimbala organized the registration and we had a record 144 registrations and 83 gleaming Corvairs. Pete also arranged all the trophies, parking areas and the accommodations. Clark’s Corvair Parts amazed us as he moved his operations to Plymouth, MI.  The GM Heritage Center provided a perfect photo op for 81 guests and Mr. Hospitality, Ken Pepke outdid himself again as he provided food, pizza and  beverages for all. Ruth and Mabel were there to help Ken. Craig and Anna Balow surprised us with centerpieces made from Corvair cylinder sleeves and a manifold shroud and a stuffed cabbage casserole. Tim Bramble upgraded us to an air-cooled kegger-fridge and a beautiful refrigerator for Ken.
DJ Rockin Ronnie kept us hopping and provided us with outdoor movies Friday and Saturday night. Paul Piche set up his championship valve cover race track complete with digital scale for 11 challengers. Clark Hartzel again blew the doors off all comers. Marilyn Knapp sought job security and won it with her ability to sell 50/50 tickets and make balloon sculptures. Dwight’s blanket raffle was an outstanding success. Pete Koehler won the model car competition. When the “Trip to Hell” went to hell Paul Piche put together a road rally that crashed a wedding and had participants wandering through a cemetery. According to Eva it was a blast. Bethanne Kelsey provided an aromatherapy theme for the ladies and they created a craft basket.
Marvelous Marvin’s auction ably assisted by Ray Dubia entertained us and kept us bidding and laughing. The shirts sold out as we bought clothing for layering as the temperature dropped to 52 degrees.
We even had the opportunity to make a direct comparison of a ’60 Corvair, ’60 Falcon and a ’62 English Ford.
Vendor’s row was packed with great selection and lots of bargains. The Awards Ceremony and parade of top 25 cars drew lots of applause. As the sun set we settled down to the movie HERBIE.
Sunday morning we said our goodbyes to our many new friends and vowed to do it again next year.
Our sincere thanks to all.
                                                                          Judy & John O’Leary