<VV> Transmission Issues-input shaft

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Aug 27 11:30:15 EDT 2009

[SNIP]
Well, we pulled the transaxle and, in my case, the input shaft is
broken.
[SNIP]

Steven J. Serenska
'65 Monza convertible, 110/4spd (intact)
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd (whatever the opposite of intact is)
[SNIP]

This is an old subject. I've been out of town and am trying to catch up with
my old emails.

A few months ago I helped a buddy in our chapter replace his transmission in
his Loadside. He had purchased it in a non-running state. We thought the
trans had failed. Once the drive train was out and the trans/axle was
separated from the engine, we found that the input shaft had broken. It
sheared at the point of the shaft and clutch splines. Interestingly, the
shaft looked like it was twisted at the point of failure. Luckily, he was
replacing the 3-speed with a 4-speed so we had another input shaft. We were
surprised that the 80hp engine had enough torque to twist the input shaft to
the point of failure. After inspection of all parts, we replaced all 3
mounts, the throw out bearing and several seals. We also replaced the
u-joints and axle seals while we were there. All went well and we accounted
for all the hardware [SMILE].

Dave Thompson
63 Spyder vert
Westminster, CA