<VV> marshalltown

John & Julia Cole jjcole at triton.net
Mon Aug 31 19:10:15 EDT 2009

Fire & Ice was a lot of fun.

Four of us went from West Michigan.  I was driving my stock '66 Monza which
had barely been out of the garage in the last two years.  The only thing
done since the Detroit convention was to change the oil.  Dan Konkle drove
his '65 Corsa racer there on the race tires no less.  Ryan Counterman and
Steve Ridderman put their cars on an a new-to-them trailer, which proved to
be a lesson in how not to load a trailer.

How'd we all do?  Dan, Steve and I all spun out on the track in early runs.
Which we then used in naming our fledgling race team.  We became Team
Spinout.  We gave Ryan some grief for not spinning out and letting the team
down.  He never did spin, but he did go off the track slightly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRguQz9kRTc

His off-track run got him the Hard Luck Award.

Final results for Team Spinout from the West Michigan Corvair Club:  Three
of us won our classes (Dan, Ryan and me).  In addition I got the longest
distance driven in a Corvair award.  And Ryan got the aforementioned Hard
Luck award.  Steve felt a little left out until he won a Clark's gift
certificate so none of us left empty handed.

Thanks to the Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts.  We are looking forward to a great
convention next year.

John Cole