<VV> GM Heritage Center Cutaway Spyder engine

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue Dec 1 05:20:23 EST 2009

It should be noted that all of the GM cutaway Corvair
engine/powertrain displays started off life as a 140 cubic
inch 1960 engine. They were modified in 1962 to appear to
be a turbocharged Spyder engine. They were modified again
in 1965 to appear to be a late model (with late model rear
suspension, etc). They were modified again to have the
smog devices added. But even the 1967/8 smog cutaways have
as their base a 1960 140 block.

If you go the GM Heritage web site (Thanks, Bob!) you can
see the Monza SS, the Super Spyder and the Astro I in the
lower left foreground when you click on "About the
Center". How cool! Also, when we rescued the Astro I it
was painted 1973 Corvette yellow. Chuck Jordon and his
staff returned the car to the red color that most remember
as "correct". - Pete K