<VV> funny (IMHO) story about working on my Vair'

Ray Rodriguez III ravensong13 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 2 12:21:06 EST 2009

This morning I decided I was finally going to straighten up all the extra wiring under my dash and make it nice and neat (wires from my stereo system, GPS, etc.)

Many of you will know where this is going long before the end!  =P

While under the dash I found a wire that was not connected to anything.... I traced it and found that it was connected to a trunk light (luggage compartment), obviously with the wire disconnected the light was inop so I hadn't noticed it before.  The wire just went straight to the light fixture...  all in plain sight except for where it runs inside the hood.. no switch etc.

I thought a little about how I wanted to wire this thing up for best convenience and finally decided I wanted it to work even with the key off.  I hooked the wire directly to 12v.... but the light didnt come on, so I went to the trunk to fiddle with the fixture.

I removed the one screw holding it in place and observed that the fixture only had a single lead so I hooked a jumper to it and connected to ground.

I removed the bulb and found that it was burnt out, so I replaced it... but still no light.

I spent the next hour checking things...  first I made sure my ground was good.. it was...   Next I started testing the 12V wire at various points to see where the problem was...  but I seemed to have 12v everywhere...  after fiddling around for a minute I even got 12v from the socket... odd.

I put the bulb in and twisted it back and forth and wiggled it.. it flashed a couple times then VOILA!!! it came on steady!  I reinstalled it in the lid and moved on to the next step.........

At this point the light was just connected directly to "always hot" 12v...  I was lucky enough to find a door switch among the junk in my garage... disconnected the battery and set to installing the switch.

I wired the switch into the 12v line and JB welded it to a convenient spot inside the trunk... then let it harden.

Next I reconnected the battery.... light on..  depressed the switch with my finger... light off.... so far so good!

After that it was time to check the placement of the switch.....   I started closing the hood slowly and.... the light went out long before the lid contacted the switch... what the heck????

I lifted the lid back up... the light came back on.....   halfway down... the light went off again...  I spent a few minutes looking for a bad spot in the wire... jiggling it around etc...  but the light didnt blink....  it only went out when I lowered the lid.....    WAIT A MINUTE!!!!  I traced the wire again....  nope...  definitely no switch in the line....

At this point it occured to me that maybe it was the ground that was switched...  I checked my shop manual and couldnt find any reference to it...  I went over to my disassembled 65' and looked at the hinge assemblies...  all metal.. no way the ground could be switched.....

Time for Google!!!!  I just came upstairs and quickly found the answer online....  an angle switch built right into the little tiny fixture... who'da thunk it?

So now I know why the new bulb didnt work at first (the fixture was dangling and tripped the angle switch), I spent all that time installing a redundant door switch...... and a LOT more time troubleshooting a non-existent problem =P

Ray Rodriguez III
click here for a pic of me and my car http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Swiftblade13/?action=view&current=sigphoto3.jpg
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 hot rodded coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction)