<VV> '62 with gasoline heater (P.S.)

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Thu Dec 3 13:20:17 EST 2009

I have two 62 Monzas (wagon and sedan) with gas heater (used to have
three).  I have a coupe with A/C and hence air box.  Everything is
the same with or without a gas heater -- jack location, horn location
(NOT in the trunk), mat with jacking instructions (black, not painted
body color).   One of the cars (a sedan) I bought 6 years ago with
28k miles.  It was a one owner car and the pride and joy of the
(deceased) owner.  Although it sat in a gully for several years (a
real shame) I am confident it was very stock (it now has a Judson and
K-H wheels and a clear plastic rear deck lid) ... this is my "play"
car so I fiddle with it a lot.

I should point out that there is NO SUCH THING as a 62 with a factory
gas heater.  By 62 it was a dealer option.  Hence I don't expect
complete uniformity.  This makes many parts of a 62 with gas heater
very rare.  To make the conversion the air box heater parts were
removed.  Block off plates were provided.  A round circle for each
shroud, two plates behind the rear seat from where the heater was
removed, a firewall block off plate, and a shroud block off
plate.  These are nearly impossible to find because most gas heater
came from earlier cars that had special shrouds, firewall w/out a
hole, etc. and did not need these plates.  When people scrapped cars
and removed the gas heater and sell it -- they never seem to remove
the block off plates if it is a 62.  I suspect that many dealers
never removed the air box heater, just blocked of the shrouds -- it
would be a lot of work to remove.

Another oddity -- I see 62 cars w/out the interior ducts from the air
box heater in the door sills.  They are carpeted over as in earlier
cars.  This, if you think about it, is completely wrong (if you are a
purist about stock).  When the dealer removed the air box heater, he
most certainly did NOT re-carpet the car.  The vents on the two I
have are blocked of internally (under the grate) but I am unsure as
to whether or not this was part of the original block plate package
(I think not).  Mine do have all the original block off plates.  A
few were missing and it took years to hunt them down (actually I have
one firewall plate to install still, problem is the hacked plate that
someone made has different screw locations so ... project.  If you
are going for stock you will have to find these as well.  It is
totally functional to use older year cars shrouds or make block off
plates ... does not look as good!

If you need help with the heater, or parts, or advise, I am happy to
help.  Having the A/C car with air box heater I am more than ever
convinced with how good the gas heater is.  In 30 degree weather the
air box heater about warms up after my 9 mile commute.  The gas
heater is much hotter, and hot before I can put the car in gear to move.

Eric

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

Tesla Motors builds electric sports cars.  Founded by my brother
Martin.  http://www.teslamotors.com

This is where we go on vacation every year -- come join
us!  http://www.sprucedaleranch.com