<VV> Director`s Comments in Communique -- future of CORSA

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Thu Dec 3 15:37:23 EST 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Eric S. Eberhard wrote:

> I am probably a minority here, but I think a good part of the problem
> is "change"  Others have mentioned change in how we
> communicate.  Cars being scrapped.  But another change is the nature
> of Corvair collecting.  When I got interested (from my grandpa) in
> the late 70s, Corvairs were still cars -- meaning
> transportation.  Many people got used to inexpensive cars and parts
> and get-togethers --- the emphasis was on low-cost fun.  Many people
> kept many cars on the road.

*SNIP*

Very interesting comments as are others on this subject.

I certainly feel the CORSA Directors should be studying the future of
CORSA and considering the factors mentioned by yourself and others.
All I hear lately about our Directors is about their wrangling over
procedural issues and feuding over how much we pay two guys in Chicago
to run the organization. It seems that some think a guy ought to be
able to live in Chicago for about $35,000. My comments about the
Directors are probably over-simplified to make a point. I am aware of
the good things being done by CORSA, the anniversary coins, the new
Tech Guide, etc.

But I would hope that someone does some research into how other marque
groups run their organizations; Novas, Modal-A's, whatever.  That,
along with the changing technology, as pointed out by others, should
reveal the model for the future of CORSA.

in the meantime, take a good look at the people in the pictures in the
Communique, at your next chapter meeting, in your photos from the last
big Corvair meet you attended. How many of them will be around in
10-20 years?

Get 'em out and drive 'em! Take 'em to shows! Get articles in the
paper about 'em! Race them! Organize driving events, like I did with
our "Corvairs Drive the Tail of the Dragon" event.

At our last board meeting, we were discussing our next autocross, an
event which is increasingly difficult to pull off. A board member
stated that the only event we have that will bring new, young members
into our club is our autocross; probably true.

What are we? A collector car organization; yes. One with special
interest groups that include restoration and racing. More and more,
our racers want to race in vintage and Corvair-only events. We just
can't compete with contemporary cars anymore.

Along with your story about a car collector paying decent $$$ for your
car, who paid $1XX,000 for Dave D's Stinger? Not a Corvair guy, a
Yenko guy.

All these changes in the community need to be taken into consideration
in defining the future of CORSA by Directors who are open-minded,
realistic, and not petty.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, Membership Chairman