<VV> High Idle

David Heath dheath at vanceandhines.com
Thu Dec 3 16:55:44 EST 2009

I have a 65 Coupe, 140/4.  I have the Otto carb rotator kit with 4 primary
carburetors.  My problem is that the idle speed is always about 900-1100 rpm
once warm.  I suspect I have worn throttle shafts.  Two of the carbs are
premium re-built from Clarks and two are just some primaries I had sitting
around.  The re-built carbs are about 15 years old, but the car was in
storage for many years, so they probably only have about 5000 miles on them.
The other day I was playing with carb synchronizing and getting the idle
down and noticed that I could hear a whistle change pitch when I moved one
of the shafts from side to side.  This tells me that carb (one of the two I
had just sitting around) has a worn shaft.  I tried the others, but did not
notice the same phenomenon.  I do notice that all four shafts appear to
wiggle in their bores, but I have not taken any apart or even off the engine
for closer inspection.
I am tempted to just order four shafts and replace them all, but I notice
that Clark's has a standard size shaft and a 0.030" oversize shaft.  Anyone
have recommendations on which to get?  Should I just send the lot to Wolf
for rebuilding?

Dave Heath
Cypress, CA
65 Coupe 140/4