<VV> CORSA Dues

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Thu Dec 3 20:23:09 EST 2009

Ron, you've raised an interesting issue with your poll - at what price
level do you feel that your money is well spent? I write these thoughts
as a CORSA member for only a few years, so please accept them with that
caveat.

The challenge for CORSA is establishing a value for its services. Right
now the dues get you a monthly magazine far below acceptable club
standards. I know this because I works as a magazine editor and because
I have copies of the national Alfa and Jaguar club publications. You see
a quality of graphics and editing that make the volunteer-written
articles more readable and the magazine one you want to keep. Since
there's no state chapter of CORSA, the publication takes on a real
importance to me and anyone else who lives in an area unserved by a chapter.

You also get a website that is below standards [like others here, I
build and provide content for websites]; did anyone else log onto the
CORSA site on the day of the 50th and find NO mention of the
anniversary? Sadly, you also get a Board that seems to deal, way behind
the scenes, in issues that seem to be very distant from our shared
enthusiasm for Corvairs.

And to me, that's the nub of the issue.

Whether you're a collector, a daily driver, a restorer, a shade tree
mechanic, reliving your past through your Corvair or learning what you
missed because you were born too late, a parent-child shared project, a
family fun vehicle, the Corvair fits your needs. The beauty of the car
is that you can "afford" it at any level you choose - from "tuna wagon"
to concours trailer queen.

The issue for CORSA is what value does it bring to our shared love for
the Corvair. Our vendors do it every day by providing a wide range of
technical expertise, parts knowledge, and enthusiasm for Corvairs. Is
that the image that CORSA projects?

I try and pretend that a $5 bill in my wallet is joined by lots of
others, but it's pretty empty in there. However, I do save and pay for
quality, whether goods or services. When CORSA actually provides high
quality services - from its volunteer Board to its management company to
its actual services, I'll pay more than my current dues for them.

Oh, and by the way, I may well find that a number of VV members are
small business/self-employed individuals who have been forced by
technology and global economics to change the way they work and the
services/products they produce - or it may be just me. When client
expectations change and grow, I need to provide additional services and
prove my value /before/ I can charge higher fees.That's today's business
world and not-for-profits need to operate the same way. A lame website
and a publication that looks just like it did decades ago does not cut
it in today's "value" environment.

I suggest that very few /successful /organizations today resemble their
predecessor of 30 years ago, so why does CORSA operate as it did in
decades past? If the dues are fixed by the "cost of operating CORSA," as
we often hear, then maybe it's time to look for changes as to how we
operate CORSA to meet contemporary demands for the services CORSA can
provide. Maybe as a club we need to ascertain what range of services
members really want and what innovative and cost-efficient ways can the
organization provide some or all of those services? It probably won't be
through the same methods and administration that we're doing it right now.

If we do, then the question of "how much to charge" falls  by the
wayside, and we'll have a national organization that really foments a
huge enthusiasm for the Corvair - the reason behind our membership.

Thanks for reading this!

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
www.landroverwriter.com