<VV> '65 To '66 A/C Retrofit

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 21:15:29 EST 2009

In answer to -Geoff Johnson's inquiry:

Geoff, you may have already considered some of what I'll say, but here
goes...

"... It will get a Sanden compressor..."
Sanden is a good choice, but suggest you use the SD7 (instead of the  SD5);
the SD-7 is only a few more $$$, but the cooling effect is much better...
'me thinks' the "7" also allows a smoother idle. I use the SD7 on both my
Greenbrier and my factory air 67 coupe.

"...I am wondering though. Where should I put the  Dryer?  What should I do
for a mounting bracket?..."
My 67 with factory air has the drier in the trunk, next to the  washer
reservoir, just behind the spare. There is a  factory-supplied bracket at that
location.

"...Anything else to watch out for?..."
Switch to 134a refrigerant... and you should: 1) add electric  fans to the
condenser; change to barrier hoses with crimp connections; change  the TXV
to one designed for 134a; incorporate slave relays for the condenser  fans,
compressor clutch, and most anything else you can think of. I also use  slave
relays (Bosch with wire pigtails) for the trans oil cooler fan and power
to the ignition.

Page through the albums from the following links... most of what I've
mentioned are shown in the pics:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/58895182BNCYAp

http://rides.webshots.com/album/40808782vhASip

Cheers,