<VV> The future of publishing?

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Fri Dec 4 10:49:19 EST 2009

Don't miss the key advantage of online publishing.  It isn't just about cost reduction, it's much more about content improvement -- both in timeliness and depth.  You can provide much richer content online, and you can make that content both timeless and timely.  I have done some projects that might be interesting to others, but they can't be condensed to fit a Communiqué article.  On the web, there is virtually no limit to content.

An online Communiqué may be fine for cost reduction, but it doesn't meet the need of online information.  Keep the Communiqué -- including the print version -- if it can be cost justified, but for goodness sake let's at least move into the 1990s information-wise.

Don't misunderstand, I really like the medium of print.  One reason is that it's nice to sit in a comfortable chair and read a magazine or book.  I'm a non-linear reader, even with books, so the ability to quickly skip around through a magazine or book is something valuable.  However, I can quickly turn an online article into print, but it's tougher to go the other way for indexing and archiving.

I belong to a subscription news service that has done an excellent job of balancing access to information by both members and non-members.  Some articles are open to all, and others have a summary that is open to all, but with a "more" link that requires a log-on.

To answer Ned's question directly ("Are you saying we should just disregard them?"): if that's what it takes to build a better Corsa, yes.

Dave Keillor