<VV> Directors Comments

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 4 13:00:28 EST 2009

All,

Even though I havn't received my CC yet, so don't know what Jackson said, I
still might as well add a few comments of my own to this inferno.

First of all, realize that postage and printing are the two biggest club
expenses. Some solution should be reached in order to make the CC worth the
dues cost. It's a good magazine, and one that I would hate to see go
"electronic", so the other way to go is to improve its perceived worth.
Short of hiring a professional writing and editing staff, that will be a
tall order. As a former newsletter editor myself, I know that you're only
as good as your writers. Just TRY to get people to write something for the
CC. I think that falls down to the problem being "the man in the mirror."

Second, the human race seems to be adverse to change. Doesn't matter what
it it, we hate it. In this vein, a while ago I proposed going to a system
of having CORSA collect chapter dues like another national club to which I
belong does. Not to get into details here and despite the fact that that
club is highly sucessful in operating that way, there were all sorts of
nay-sayers. "No, we can't do that", "no, it hasn't been done that way
before", "no, we don't understand how it could work", etc. ad nausium.
(BTW, a member of that club can't belong to a local without belonging to
the national, but can belong to as many locals as he wants - thru the
national.) Bottom line is, the heads of two specialty chapters volunteered
their clubs to submit to the proposed system, as a test case demo, but to
date NOTHING has happened. And we wonder why CORSA hasn't changed......

Finally, in response to the proposal for regional conventions, I wonder how
that's going to work, since we not only have few "regional"
CORSA-sanctioned meets, but so few bidders for the ONE national convention
that we DO have every year. Seems like an even taller order than we have
now. One solution, taking a page from the aforementioned "other" national
club, would be to REQUIRE certain clubs to host the national every other
"X" number of years. The "other" national club requires its chapters to
host a regional if not the national meet on a rotating basis. They have
enough strong locals that that's not a problem. Wonder if CORSA could do
that?

-Mark