<VV> Weak brake action

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Dec 4 13:44:37 EST 2009

Hi Chuck,

It sounds like you have good hydraulics, the problems is more in the
shoes/drums.  One quick question - what shoes did you install?  There
is a very big difference between the available materials, and the more
expensive ones generally do work better.

I have used top of the line Raybestos on the '66 Corsa, which worked
quite well, and Corvair Underground's Kevlar Metallic on the GB, again
with excellent results - both will lock the tires.  I recently
finished installing a whole new brake system on the '62, I'll report
on that hopefully in the next couple weeks depending on weather.
Early brakes are smaller, but still I expect decent performance.

One other thought - did you break in the linings as recommended?
Usually it's 10 hard stops or so.

--Bryan