<VV> Alternative to Re: parts scrappage

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 15:17:02 EST 2009

     When one of our long-term members (and past president) passed away recently, with the help of his family, we held an AUCTION, publicized it, and secured well over $1000 for his family.  Best of all, it was his wish that his Corvair parts be distributed to his fellow club members and that's just what happened.  The auction went so well that the family treated us all to pizza lunch.  While a few old parts went to scrappage, the vast bulk of them were saved.
     Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 12/04/09 11:45:19 Eastern Standard Time, lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:
>... members involved in moving stuff to where it can be saved?  I for one would be glad to pick up a load of Vair parts and take them to a vendor maybe even for just costs (if costs include food, equipment, etc.-- Basically I get a free road trip).

Ahh, the basic "free lunch" -- let's see, 16 + 3 or 4 = about 20 tons.
20 x $200 (sorta an average price for scrap over the last few years
around here) = $4,000 maybe, and if one swings the deal right, they will
pick up and haul (no mean feat when you are talking 20 tons).

Sounds like the scrapper is a betteer choice fiscally when compared to
giving it away because you can't sell it.

For you rust belt guys, I have scrapped a 65 Corsa and a 60 4-door
somewhat recently, both stripped, both rusty for this part of the world,
but salvageable, both locally advertised as freebies to Corvair folks,
as if you could get anyone to take it away -- but when there are no
local takers, it can't set in the yard forever, and a hundred bucks for
a trip to the crusher will buy more parts from a vendor, or pay club
dues, or ...