<VV> parts scrappage

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 4 11:44:23 EST 2009

>... members involved in moving stuff to where it can be saved?  I for one would be glad to pick up a load of Vair parts and take them to a vendor maybe even for just costs (if costs include food, equipment, etc.-- Basically I get a free road trip).

Ahh, the basic "free lunch" -- let's see, 16 + 3 or 4 = about 20 tons.
20 x $200 (sorta an average price for scrap over the last few years
around here) = $4,000 maybe, and if one swings the deal right, they will
pick up and haul (no mean feat when you are talking 20 tons).

Sounds like the scrapper is a betteer choice fiscally when compared to
giving it away because you can't sell it.

For you rust belt guys, I have scrapped a 65 Corsa and a 60 4-door
somewhat recently, both stripped, both rusty for this part of the world,
but salvageable, both locally advertised as freebies to Corvair folks,
as if you could get anyone to take it away -- but when there are no
local takers, it can't set in the yard forever, and a hundred bucks for
a trip to the crusher will buy more parts from a vendor, or pay club
dues, or ...

Words are great, but is there anybody out there trying to apprentice
themselves to Phoenix Charlie? I didn't think so.

And it is not just Corvairs --  there is a fabulous wealth of old
Porsche parts in a barn in McMinville, and the guy is getting older and
talks of retiring, but there is only one person in the world that has
even a sorta good idea of what is and where it is in that barn, and out
in the field behind it. Besides, he lives in the other end of the barn.
His kid is into building race cars, not keeping old parts, and the
grandkid is an aspiring Hollywood child actor with an agent and screen
credits, so ...

Parts Hoarders are a dying breed, and coupled with solid waste and
nuisance laws, it is getting harder to hoard a vast collection, not easier.

Not unlike CORSA, where it seems it takes a few harsh words to even get
folks to talk about the problems -- seems like this happens about every
six months around here, some folks talk, nothing happens, and alas! the
staus doesn't change ...

I freely admit that I'm not a guy full of big organizational ideas, but
I suspect, that if Mr Jackson had more space alloted to that column, he
could have offered more that just his "Hey! Wake up People!" call of agony.

Bill Strickland