<VV> Question about early Vairs.

n5hsr n5hsr at sprynet.com
Mon Dec 7 11:50:12 EST 2009

Our poor little Vair got quite an adventure in the few years we had it.

I've got a question.  I know about the O-ring seals.  Did anyone else have trouble with the floor pans rusting out?  We had to fix a hole the first time and just about replace the whole passenger side front floor pan the second time.

Our little Vair also got assaulted one Halloween.   Some kid over the summer had wrecked his 55 Nomad out in front of our house and wrapped the passenger side around a pole.  So Dad ran inside to call for an ambulance.   Turns out it was the kid's 3d moving violation in a year, so they yanked his license.  For revenge, that Halloween he snuck up into our carport (no garage in those days)  and cut one of the Powerglide hoses and loosened the bolts on the oil pan and broke the seal.  Never did seal up right after that.

I rode in the back seat until I was old enough to drive, and don't remember us having any problem with carbon monoxide in the passenger compartment.  I guess we were one of the lucky ones?

Charles Fregeau
ex 62 Corvair 700 Coupe - Powerglide.