<VV> EM dash leaks

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 14:32:54 EST 2009

Hi Bryan,

The most common early model leak is the fresh air vents. But, you mention that your leak is under the dash. I have found this leak in several earlies.  There is a seam in the bottom of the fresh air system under the front cowl. This seam is prone to rust and when it does, it drips down behind the dash panel. I remove the louvered front cowl, clean the area well and then have someone pour some water in the cowl area while I watch from under the dash.  You can see where it drips. Then I go and grind down the area at the bottom of the cowl where the leak is and fix it like you would a normal rust hole. Most of the ones I have repaired were very small and just required a little something to fill the hole. I used the POR15 paste on the last one. It is soooo nice when the carpet is no longer wet and smelly!!! I prime and paint the repair to match the car.

It is a fairly quick and easy fix and doesn't require much in the way of body working skills. I figured my 62 was just weeping because it was a sedan and not a hardtop! <G>

Good luck!

BobJ

Frostbite Falls, MN

CORSA since 72