<VV> Winter safety

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 18:51:12 EST 2009

I installed a carbon monoxide detector under the dash in my Corvair almost a
year ago. I purchased it from a local RV dealer. Today, Southern California
finally got its first cold rain in many months. I turned on my forced air
(not gas heater) defroster to clear the windows. After a few miles, the
carbon monoxide detector went off. Just about scared me through the ragtop
roof. At first I didn't know what it was. It then dawned on me what that
horrible screeching was. I promptly turned off the defroster and opened the
lower vents and a window. It screamed for a mile or so and then stopped.

If I hadn't had the detector installed, I may not have been writing this
now.

Moral to the story; If you use your heater, even if you are careful to seal
the exhaust system, you should install a carbon monoxide detector.

Dave Thompson

Westminster, CA

P.S. If you do install one, test it at every oil change to make sure the
batteries are still good. Mine has a "test" button just like a smoke
detector.