<VV> Fwd: The Corvair that inspired the Mustang

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Tue Dec 8 18:32:52 EST 2009

____________________________________
 From: corvair at fnader.com
To: jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
CC:  virtualvairs at corvair.org
Sent: 12/8/2009 2:28:23 P.M. Pacific Standard  Time
Subj: Re: <VV> The Corvair that inspired the Mustang

"Big engine" was not necessarily part of the equation... 6  cylinder
slushbox
Mustangs were common and still considered a "Pony Car"  (which was really
just a small fun to drive "performance oriented"  car...

Bill

Depends what you call "fun"!!  There first time I drove a Mustang, it  was
when I had to fly to L.A. for the company I worked for--they provided me
with a first-series Mustang to drive--I drove through the mountain  roads
around L.A. and considered the Mustang a really sour-handling  car---this was
compared to my '51 Kaiser with an Olds V-8; a nose-heavy rig that  required
larger tires in front and a healthy dose of added tire pressure to make  it
handle--but it could be driven from Phoenix to L.A. through the passes on the
old US70 or US80 with no trouble.  The Stang slid its rear end out at the
least provocation--Sunset Boulevard (which was a real test of a car's
handling)  (remember Dead Man's Curve?) gave the Stang a very hard time.

Scotty from Hollyweird

.