<VV> Corvair coupes WAS nomenclature only Chevette info

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 08:18:28 EST 2009

Originally Corvair was inspired by the VW / Renault idea of totally basic transportation.  Kind of surprising the Corvair did not offer a business coupe / no back seat model.  Why Chevy started thinking about that for the 1976 Chevette is anyone's guess ... but, it was not a popular model ... and the vast majority of the Scooters were ordered with the optional back seat.  I think the seat was made standard for the 77 model year with a seat delete option that may have never been exercised.
Ken P

*********************************

Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net> wrote:

I don't know about 1976 to 1978, but dad's 1979 Chevette Scooter has a
rear seat. It is a true no option car, except that GM threw in an AM
radio for free when he ordered it. No dealer had in stock a no option
car in these parts.

Frank DuVal

For Sale, 1979 Chevette Scooter. Low miles.

kenpepke at juno.com wrote:

>Corvair's parent, the full size Chevrolet, featured a two door coupe [without rear
seat or an optional 'jump' seat] and a two door sedan as well as a two door hardtop
styled sedan as recently as 1953 :-)  [and maybe in 54?] as did several of the other GM
lines.  And, the much later Chevette 'Scooter' was a business coupe with no rear seat
while the rest of the car's lines were 2 and 4 door sedans ... with rear seats :-)