<VV> Radio replacement

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 11:02:33 EST 2009

I’m looking for an AM/FM/8 track for my 65 convertible.  For years it had an AUDIOVOX C-977A but now for unknown reasons, the FM part has died.  The replacement need not have push buttons—the AUDIOVOX doesn’t.  An unnamed but known northeast shop installed the AC center bezel too close to the radio (low far below the dash pad) so size is important.  A stock Corvair unit will not fit.  A slimmer radio is needed.  The current AUDIOVOX is 7 inches wide and 1 ¾ inches high.  I doubt if a replacement of similar dimensions would have push buttons.
Anybody happen to have an AUDIOVOX or similar unit for sale.  The 8 track part is important.  I own hundreds and enjoy having a tape stuck in the radio at cruise nights.  Gets attention.  Thanks.