<VV> Ever considered an ereader?

Guus de Haan guusdehaan at me.com
Thu Dec 10 04:00:36 EST 2009

I've followed the debate on the costs for Corsa and if I understand correct the printing of the Communique is a big part of this. I'm a Corsa member but have to be honest, the value for me is partly in the CC and the fact that I believe I should support something I like. And I like Corvair people.

As far as the Communique is concerned.

There is an alternative between a paper magazine and reading on your computer, it's called an ereader. This year it was one of the big selling items. Why?

Because many (younger?) people like the convenience of getting things the electronic way. Buy it, get it, read it.
Because you can read it anywhere, on the couch or on the train.
Because you can fit many books onto the device and you don't have to carry all that weight around.
Because you can ENLARGE THE FONT SO EVERY BOOK CAN BE MADE AN BIG FONT BOOK.
Because you can search through its content.
Because of its technology (e-ink) it reads like a paper. Not like a computer screen with the backlight shining in your eyes.
Because a book published in epub (the open standard) is re-flowable and adjusts to any size ereader.
Because you don't have to cut trees for it.
Because you don't have to have all this storage space for books and magazines in your home.
Because it uses little energy you can use it for a long time before it need recharging.

It's biggest (current) disadvantages?

It's displays only shades of grey. But apart from the covers the CC is in B&W anyway.
It costs money to get one but they are rapidly getting cheaper and of course the content can be had cheaper.

It's very easy for a club like Corsa to make the CC fit onto such a device. You can store an ebook (or e-magazine) in epub on more then one device. So you can access it on your ereader but at the same time use it on your computer and make a print from an article you want.

Some links for those interested:

The Barnes & Noble Nook - www.barnesandnoble.com/nook
The Amazon Kindle - www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260433936&sr=8-1
Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers

I think publishing and reading will go this way if publishers understand the way this new medium should be approached. Don't have any shares in the companies who sell them! <BG>

Regards,

Guus de Haan
The Netherlands
'65 Corsa Turbo-Charged Cvt