<VV> CORSA Insurance

J.Alan Johnson johnsonaj1 at charter.net
Wed Dec 9 22:26:13 EST 2009

Hank wrote:  "Should the guy who's 80+ years old and an original owner, sold
his car and can't even see well enough to drive anymore pay as much as the
guy socking thousands into his resto?  Don't think so, but he should pay
SOMETHING.  Or the chapter can make him an honorary member.  Since he
doesn't drive, insurance isn't an issue."

I'm a "newbie" having owned my '66 Monza convertible only since July of this
year (actually it's my 2nd Corvair, my first being my first car in 1968) and
I've read all the recent hoopla about CORSA, vowing to keep my mouth shut
(and my fingers off the keys), trying to learn as much as I can about this
new organization that I really want to be a part of.  But I now have to
break silence because after reading Hank's comment about insurance, I fear
some people may have the wrong impression about a major CORSA benefit. I
have worked for an insurance company and as an agent and risk manager for
the past 34 years and hold several advanced designations so I feel I know
what I'm talking about.

I'm wondering how many of our members and VV subscribers/readers think that
the "insurance" provided by CORSA is "auto" insurance?  I haven't looked at
CORSA's policy, but I venture to state that the "insurance" refers to
coverage for functions and events held by individual chapters, with coverage
possibly extending to individual members also defined as "insureds."  This
is most likely "event" type coverage providing protection if someone is
injured while attending one of our events (i.e., club meeting, road rally,
car shows, etc.) and their injury is a result of our negligence.  So, if
somebody gets hurt, or gets their property damaged, and they sue the club
and also sue club members individually (legally stated as "jointly and
severally"), the CORSA policy would stand good for any monetary awards
granted by the courts (up to the policy liability limits).

I would bet there's a specific exclusion in the CORSA Events policy stating
that it does not cover individual members auto liability-either bodily
injury or property damage.  Auto Liability is specifically covered under an
auto insurance coverage form and the general liability exposures that could
occur at an event are covered under that type coverage form.   To tell the
truth, due to the diverse membership (age, driving records, type vehicles,
etc.) to try to insure the auto exposure of an entire club would be an
underwriting impossibility and would actually run contrary to the legal
doctrine of insurable interest.

There has been a lot of talk about what benefits are provided by CORSA.  I
would submit that the Master Liability coverage for chapter and national
"events" is a HUGE benefit.  Without that coverage, we, as members of
chapters and groups could be held "jointly and severally" liable by third
parties sustaining injury or damage, and they could take us for everything
we've got and what we've all worked all our lives to have.  From my
perspective, this "insurance" coverage alone is enough for me to pay my dues
to CORSA and to continue to pay them as long as I am a member.

Each of us is individually responsible for our own liability while operating
our autos-whether they are Corvairs or any other motor vehicle.  But when we
as individuals act as a part of a group, as in a local Corvair Club Chapter,
it's nice to know that CORSA is carrying insurance for our collective
protection.  For each chapter to try to get their own insurance coverage
would be financially prohibitive.

Thank you CORSA for lookin' out for me.

J. Alan Johnson, CPCU, ARM, AIS

THE JOHNSON AGENCY, LLC

'66 Monza Convertible in the Mountains of East Tennessee