<VV> Road Rallies

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Thu Dec 10 10:53:55 EST 2009

I don't know how the rally & econo run were done in the past as a combined event, but think about this.

I have a good route for both events. (A good rally route always had a scenic route away from the crowds of everyday traffic.) My intent on running a rally is NOT TO GET YOU LOST, but merely to delay you a bit. We would always send out a SWEEP car, which was one of the rally masters, as the last car in the rally, usually 10- 15 minutes behind the last entrant. His only functions were to try and catch those that may have had a break down or seemed lost. We NEVER wanted to lose someone.

Our purpose for holding a rally was a great drive in the country ending at a great place to eat & drink. Matter of fact, if the end location had poor food or a poor beer selection, the event was deemed poor, no matter how good the rally was.

I don't know how CORSA runs their econo runs, but isn't it as simple as fill the car with fuel, run the car over a distance, refuel the car, we measure fuel mileage and award trophies accordingly.

A rally is similar. Go for a drive in the country, those that arrive on time/distance and/or with the most correct answers, in the case of a gimmick rally, are awarded trophies.

If someone loses a COLE award because of fuel mileage, perhaps the event is structured incorrectly and/or placing the emphasis in the wrong area?

Roy - Bayshore