<VV> Communique, Print vs. Electronic or Both Suggestion

John Dozsa yanche at verizon.net
Thu Dec 10 12:25:02 EST 2009

Mark,

There are printers that are capable of CORSA Communique quality color
printing they are just not intended for home use.  Nor are they for the
small business.  They are intended for the large corporate central print
shops.  See:
http://www.xerox.com/digital-printing/digital-printing-press/enus.html
for the Xerox brand.  When used with the correct glossy paper the color
print quality is superb.  What the print on demand companies have done
is developed a business model that allows them to use these very
expensive production printers in a way that can seamlessly switch what
they are printing.  That way the presses keep rolling and you get your
single book.

This print vs. electronic debate has been going on for years.  My
suggestion possibly offers a way to have both.  Will it cost the member
that wants print more, yes.  But if done right it gets CORSA out of the
print publication business.  Assign the print publication rights to an
on demand printer.  That way CORSA can concentrate it's resources on
improving the content quality of it's publications.  The challenge is to
find such a on demand printer and not give away all CORSA's intellectual
and publication rights.

Is the CORSA BoD up to it?   I hope so, but based on previous choices I
have my doubts.  Just as others have pointed out how corporations have
had to re-make themselves to survive, CORSA must also.

It's all about finding a sustainable business model in a declining
membership environment.  The print vs. electronic debate is just a pain
in the a$$ annoyance issue.

John